Monday, June 19, 2006

Insemination Narration


Insemination Narration


Well today we had our first round of insemination. It was a really bizarre process. We had to be there for 7:00 am. When you first arrive , you have to sign up for an ultrasound, blood-work and semen thawing. There was a little confusion when I brought the paper-work for a donor-semen sperm wash. The lab guys kept asking me where my container was and where my husbnand was. Here's a snippet of what happened. Feel free to act out it out at home with a friend or loved one:

Me: I think I'm supposed to drop these papers off here.
Lab Guy: Where's your container?
Me: I don't have one.
LG: Why don't you have one. Where's your husband?
Me: I don't have one of those either. I have donor sperm.
LG: Donor sperm?
Me: Yes. Donor Sperm. Frozen.
LG: You have the wrong form.
Me: I do? What form should I have?
LG: Not blue.
Me: Oh? Should I go back.
LG: No. We'll find your sperm.
Me: Good.
They did managed to locate the "specimen" - but the real shocker was that we didn't get our first pick. Or our second. We got the third pick. That's right -- the safety-sperm. Kind of like your safety-school when you're applying to University. This guy was our Bishop's. So we got the third stringer. But we're actually pretty happy with the choice...neither of us thought we'd get the 6'4" strawberry blond. The good news is that Mr. giant, athletic, blond guy also has really potent sperm -- with a 10 million count after washing. Pretty good we've been assured. Pretty good.
The actual insemination took only about 5 minutes -- in fact there's this little window in the insemination room that opens right up to the lab so you can get the sperm directly. It's a lot like a little sperm take-out window. I even got to "plunge" the last few ccs...therby cementing my huge role in this whole process. So we head back tomorrow to repeat the process. This time I'll use the white form -- not the blue form. Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home